Beef Bourgnion (Beef Stew)
- Beef Chuck or Brisket 2 lbs.
- Salt and Pepper As Desired
- Paprika 1 tablespoon
- Corn or Potato Starch 4 oz
- Canola or Grape Seed Oil 4 oz
- Onion, Diced 6 oz (1 Onion)
- Carrots, Peeled and Diced 6 oz (2 Carrots)
- Garlic Clove, Sliced 2 cloves
- Tomato Paste 2 tablespoons
- Fresh Thyme Leaves 4 sprigs
- Red Wine 8 oz
- Potato, Diced 8 oz (1-2 Potatoes)
- Beef Stock 16 oz
- Pre-heat the water bath to 185F. Refer to Time and Temperature Chart for guidelines.
- Remove and heavy silver skin from the meat and dice in to cubes. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika as desired. Toss the cubes of meat in the cornstarch and keep very cold.
- On the induction top heat a sauté on setting 10. Add the oil.
- Working in batches sear the meat quickly on all sides to brown being careful not to cook the meat through. Remove and return the pieces to the refrigerator as they are finished.
- Add the onions, carrot, and garlic to the pan and sauté lowering the heat level to 8.
- Once the vegetables are lightly browned add the tomato paste and stir constantly for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the thyme leaves and the red wine. Simmer until the wine has almost completely reduced stirring constantly.
- Add the potatoes and stock. Immediately transfer to a container and cool completely.
- Place in to a 1quart Vac Snap Bag. Hang the bag off of the side of a counter to keep the liquid to the bottom of bag when removing air.
- Cook for 6-8 hours.
- Serve immediately or cool refrigerate or freeze.