Homemade Yogurt Parfait
Make yogurt in your Smart Hub and then layer it into a decadent parfait!
- Cow milk
- Starter culture (can be unflavored, store-bought yogurt)
- Herbs or spices if desired
For the yogurt
- Fill Smart Top with water and set Smart Hub to 185F
- Fill jar with milk, add jar to Smart Top
- Wait 35 minutes
- Remove jar of milk from Smart Top and adjust Smart Hub to 110F
- Wait until the milk in the jar it cools to ~115F and then add starter culture or yogurt. If you're using a packet of yogurt starter, follow the directions on the container. If using yogurt, use around 5% of total milk volume. Stir well to incorporate starter.
- If desired, add herbs or spices to the milk. Lavender and mint are two popular choices.
- Once the Smart Hub temperature has fallen to 110F, place the jar of milk and starter into the Smart Top
- Wait until the yogurt has fermented to the desired consistency and flavor, probably around 5 hours.
- Remove yogurt from the Smart Top.
- If a thicker consistency is desired, drain whey from the yogurt by placing it in a colander lined with cheesecloth. Fully draining the whey can take up to 4 hours, so do this step in the fridge so that fermentation does not continue.
For the parfait
- There is no real wrong way to make a parfait. My favorite starts with a layer of honey, followed by a layer of yogurt, followed by a layer of granola, followed by yogurt, followed by fruit, followed by yogurt, and then a little drizzle of honey on top.